White Truffle frome Alba
WHITE TRUFFLE FROM ALBA
This tuber of absolute value has the scientific name Tuber Magnatum Pico and the market clearly distinguishes it from the other qualities of truffles available in the area. It is considered the truffle par excellence and is typical of Piedmont, it is located in the province of Cuneo, in the territory of Alba. It has a higher price than the black truffle, as it is much more delicious and rare. In addition to the difference in color, the white truffle has a very strong and more intense aroma and a much stronger flavor.
- PRODUCTION: The white truffle grows near the root systems of plants such as linden, poplars, willows and oaks. The ideal soil is a calcareous and clayey soil. The truffle grounds that produce the most truffles have a south-east, south exposure. The altitude is not higher than 110 m a.s.l. A good penetration of light into the soil and a good heating of the soil favors its production. The best time is in October, but experts manage to find truffles until December. Harvesting must be very delicate and can be done manually or with the help of trained dogs. The use of pigs is prohibited which, due to the environmental damage they can cause, 'plowing of the soil and hoeing which would kill the fungus.
- ORGANOLEPTIC CHARACTERISTICS: It can reach a diameter of 20 centimeters in size. The taste is characteristic, it has an intoxicating smell rich in perfumes. The color is pale ocher.
- TASTING: The Alba truffle is always consumed in small quantities and never whole due to its very high cost and its outstanding organoleptic qualities. This delicious ingredient is also used in the kitchen to perfume sauces, flavored oils are made, excellent for dressing croutons and pasta or you can produce grappa and liqueurs with a hint of truffles. Piedmontese cuisine uses it in the preparation of fondue, in meat and mushroom salads, sprinkled on first courses and meats, on pheasant and with eggs.
- STORAGE: The white truffle cannot be stored for a long time. To sebar it in the best way it is necessary to wrap it in porous and absorbent paper and then close it in an airtight container. It can then be stored in the refrigerator with a limit of days not exceeding 15. Change the porous paper that wraps it daily.
- RECIPE: Fondue with truffle
Ingredients for 4 servings: 350 g of fontina, 1 medium-sized white Alba truffle, 2 dl of milk, 30 g of butter, 3 egg yolks.
Procedure: Remove the fontina crust and cut it into thin slices. Put the milk and the chopped fontina in a pan. Place the pan in a hot bain-marie and start mixing with a whisk, keeping the water boiling. Stir continuously even with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted into a homogeneous and stringy mixture. Remove the fondue from the heat and add the butter making it melt completely. Incorporate the yolks as well. Pour the fondue into 4 bowls and spread over the Alba truffle cut into very thin slices.